Nudist Beach Behavior
By Anna Lynn Sibal
There are many reasons why people go to nudist beaches. Many people who do go to these beaches believe that discarding one’s clothes in such a manner make them in harmony with nature. Such people are called naturists. Some people go to nudist beaches because they want to be able to become comfortable with their own body. Some just go for the experience.
Regardless of the reason why people go to nudist beaches, there is a certain form of behavior that we must conform to when we are in a nudist or clothing-optional beach. In spite of what some people think, people do not conduct sexual behavior openly in nudist beaches. There is such a thing called nudist beach etiquette that must be observed when we are in a nudist beach.
1. Before we take our clothes off at the beach, we should find out first if it is perfectly alright to do so. In some beaches, it is legal to go nude. In some, it is only tolerated. In others, it is illegal and a person could be arrested for taking his or her clothes off.
2. We should keep our gazes respectful or at least neutral. Just because we see a naked body before us, we should not gawk at it or stare impolitely. Nudity is sensual; we all know that. But that is no excuse to ogle when we see one before us, especially when we are at a nudist beach, where people are supposed to be able to take their clothes off without fear of malice.
3. We should be careful with our cameras. Perhaps it would be best to avoid bringing them along. Naturism should never be confused with exhibitionism, and many naturists do value their privacy especially when they have their clothes off. If we do have to take photographs or videos, we should limit taking pictures to our own group, but only if the group consents and only if there is no one else in the background.
4. We should keep our sexual activity indoors. Humans are visual creatures. They can become sexually aroused with what they see. But being in a place where everyone else does not have any clothes on should not be an excuse for conducting sexual behavior in public. People see public sexual behavior as offensive, even the naturists. We should do the deed indoors if we feel like it.
5. Some beaches where nudists go are clothing-optional, which means they get to share the beach with people who do not like to go naked in public. Some of them get offended when they see a naked person in a public setting. To prevent offending someone, we should stay at a part of the beach where we would have a good view of who would be approaching us. In this way, we would be able to throw some clothes on in case someone is coming.
6. We should take care not to disturb others. Some people in the beach love their solitude, and we should not impose our company on them if it seems that they prefer being alone. It is okay to be friendly, but it is disrespectful to disturb others who would like to be left alone.
Also see Top 10 Natural Wonders of the World