By Lynn Lopez
A day at the beach seems to hold nothing but the promise of nothing but fun and relaxation. But donít let the sound of the waves and the great weather lull you into a sense of complacency.
Even you need to take care at the beach. Here are some precautions you must take.
- If you have kids, make sure to keep an eye on them, especially when theyíre swimming or running around.
- Pay attention to any signs and warnings about the water for the day.
- Donít try any tricks or activities youíre not fully prepared for, and also if youíre not accompanied by a qualified instructor.
- Donít bring your valuables or a lot of money with you. If your hotel is only a short distance away from the beach, then leave valuables behind, and get a bit of exercise by walking to the hotel when you need your things.
- Never go swimming alone in a deserted beach. You never know what might happen, and youíre going to need people around in case of emergencies.
- Donít swim too far from the shore, and make sure the area is manned by lifeguards.
- Wear proper footwear. Sometimes, there are hidden dangers like broken glass lurking on the sand.
- Watch for signs of heatstroke.
- Have plenty of water on hand. This will keep you from getting dehydrated.
- Never dive in shallow water.